The holiday season is almost here! We are sure you are all as excited as we are to spend time with our family and friends and relax for a few days. But before we start to enjoy this festive time of year, we would like to remind all parents of a few very important things;
- Thursday Class Christmas Celebrations- If you would like your child to participate in the gift exchange, please have your child bring the gift to school on Thursday. If your child is a girl, please buy a gift for a girl and if your child is a boy, please buy a gift for a boy. The gift should not be more that 120 lemps. We hope that all the students participate for this will be a very fun activity for all the children. Please do not send lunch to school that day, we will provide lunch. Please send a snack only with your child.
- Thursday Song Festival- We would like to remind all parents that our annual Songfest will take place this coming Thursday, December 16th. The DPTO will be selling Holiday food an hour before the students present, which will start promptly at 6:00 p.m. We invite all parents and students at 5:00 p.m. for supper, to catch up with friends, purchase the Choir CD and the Discovery School cookbook for holiday gifts, and enjoy the presentations our students have been working on. The program should last about one hour and thirty minutes. We hope to see you there!
- Food Donations- Thank you to the parents and students who brought in their food donations last week! We are still collecting food donations for the annual gift baskets the school makes for the less fortunate. We ask that the first graders donate a bag of sugar. There was a letter sent home last week explaining the activity and the amount of sugar each students should bring in. If you do have the newsletter anymore, please let the homeroom teacher know and she will send a new letter home.
This week your child will be inquiring into the following:
- Phonics- Your child will be reviewing past words with various chants and activities.
- Reading- Your child will be reading different Christmas stories.
- Writing- Your child will be writing a special Christmas message for his/her Christmas card.
Math- your child will be reviewing Chapter 5 this week as well as doubles, equations that make sums of 10 and subtraction using doubles and sums of 10.
Theme- Social Studies- this week your child will be creating various Christmas crafts that represent the way he/she celebrates Christmas.
-Reading-read 10 minutes
-Reading-read 10 minutes
-Reading- read 10 minutes
Your child will be out of school for 19 days (Classes will resume on January 5th, 2011). This is a very long time and so we ask that you and your child continue reading each day/night for 10-20 minutes. Also, if you do not speak English at home, please remember that 19 days with no English is a long time. You can help your child keep up his/her language skills be setting aside 15-30 minutes of 'Only English-Speaking' time each day during which time you and your child are allowed to speak English only, taking your child to see English movies, allowing them to play some English on-line games (see earlier blogs about websites), and/or allowing them to watch English T.V.
Have fun, read, speak English and Relax!