September 20th, 2010
We hope you enjoyed your holiday/weekend and are ready for another exciting week of first grade!
This week the classes will be working on the following:
- Language Arts
- Reading- finishing A-Z assessments.
- Writing- identifying and writing complete sentences and exploring their characteristics.
- Phonics- examining 5 new words; from, they, his, be, this. Recognizing and creating rhymes
- Math- continuing to practice addition and exploring subtraction.
- Science- starting a new unit called 'Comparing and Measuring'. The students will be comparing and measuring various object with both standard and non-standard units of measurement. This week they will be introduced to these concepts by comparing and graphing their heights using non-standard units of measurement. They will also recognize the importance of the beginning and ending points when measuring objects.
Monday-Read 10 minutes
Tuesday- Read 10 minutes
-Writing worksheet- write 1-5 sentences about the picture using some of the words from the box
Wednesday- Read 10 minutes
- Share A-Z with parents and complete reading worksheet
- Review 5 words for the Spelling Challenge; from, be, this, they, his
Friday- Read 10 minutes
- Progress reports were sent home last Friday. Please return then signed this week
- If you have any pictures of our Independence Day parade we would very much appreciate you to forward to them either Ms. Colette or me
- Library is every Friday- please remind your child to bring his/her library book to school that day
- Spelling Challenge is every Friday
We would like to say a big THANK YOU to the parents who have so far contributed fantastic supplies to our classrooms! So far we have received zip-lock bags, paper towels, a class map, a class pet, and goodies for our prize boxes.
If you would like to contribute something please check your emails- The 'Wish List' were sent to them.
Extra Goodies for the Parents!
Great link to learn more about the importance of reading, how to make sure your child is getting the most knowledge out of what they are reading, 100-MUST books all children should read
Fun and exciting educational online games